Friday 14 November 2008

Conkers: Will they be extinct?


I am getting a bit concerned about some of the Horse Chestnut trees within Sleaford and Holdingham. I noticed towards the end of the summer that the trees near Lincoln Road were looking a bit sad. I reported the matter. I was told that this is often the case. The photo is how a healthy Horse Chestnut should look (Library Photograph)

What alerted me again was a report that in other parts of the Country they are being affected by disease - so much so that we may lose them altogether. It is estimated that 75% nationally are already dying. See story in the Independent.

A useful article also is at: Conkers. Keep an eye out or the kids of the future may not have the same pleasures as we had as kids. Send any photos if you have them!

No comments: