Friday 20 July 2018

A Hot July in Holdingham

After a hot June and warm May. So will it affect trees and shrubs? 

I hope not: I always remeber quote from a prominient Gardener ((Alan Titchmarsh (I think)) who advised along the lines "look after the plants, the trees generally will look after themselves".  I presume the deep rooted trees can access water which hs acculmulatedover the Winter and Spring.  Previous dry summers have followed fairly dry winters and that has caused trouble. Our winter and early spring did have rain (even snow). Hot weather also causes irrational behaviour and Englands World Cup bid has not helped it seems.

May 2018 was a record for some:  June 2018 was very warm and dry for England especially

I put this message on Facebook : here it is

"I went on a "recce" on the Lincoln Road today to see if there were any problems: firstly if any trees etc were wilting under the hot weather and secondly to look at the Sleaford Sign which had been somewhat vandalised by the removal of the Eagle. The Eagle report is in the Standard. The only tree that I found, definitely under stress, was in the LIncoln Road play area although one or two others were looking slightly yellowish. Whether or not the damage to the Sign was in any way related to over exuberance/ despair about the England World Cup loss I do not know but there was a lot of noise on one evening when football matches were on. The Standard report is at: https://www.sleafordstandard.co.uk/…/the-eagle-has-flown-go…"


No comments: